Friday, January 27, 2006

Apple - Rhubarb Preserves


I was wandering in the produce aisle of my favorite grocery store the other day when my eyes got caught by a bright pink bunch of rhubarb sticks, comfortably "seated" between other delicious yet not as visually attractive vegetables. I instantly had the illusion that the slightly acidic taste of this beautiful plant was arising in my mouth. I only had to think for an extra second to also "taste" the apples that would perfecly complement my next sweet-and-sour dessert. I picked a few branches of rhubarb, chose a few Cameo and Sundowner apples, and day-dreamed until I got home and could finally cook these fruits. I love the color transfer that gave the preserves their warm pinky touch!

Apple-Rhubarb Preserves

- 3 apples
- 4 rhubarb sticks
- 2 tablespoons (brown) sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water

1. Peel the rhubarb while cutting it in 1" or 2" chunks.
2. Peel and seed the apples. Cut them in 4 or 8 pieces.
3. Place the fruits in a pot. Sprinkle with sugar. Pour the water. Toss a little.
4. Slowly simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the fruits are soft but they sill hold their shape.
5. Serve warm or cold with a few madeleines or shortbreads, a scoop of vanilla ice cream... or on its own.

2 comments:

Papilles et Pupilles said...

hummmmmm, et avec le froid qu'il fait j'en mangerais bien quelques cuillérées. Je ne sais pas si je dois laisser les commentaires en français ou en anglais ?

Estelle said...

Bonjour ! Merci pour tes commentaires. Oui, en anglais ce serait peut-etre mieux, pour que tous les lecteurs comprennent.