Saturday, November 05, 2011

Kale pesto tomato tart

The other day we made a delicious kale and walnut pesto based on this recipe by Shutterbean. We ate about half of it with fresh pasta (yum!), and used the other half for this tomato tart.


I used my beloved quiche crust recipe, but used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose, and replaced the cream with water. Actually, I had made the dough in advance (I double or triple the proportions then divide the dough into small balls and freeze them), so I just had to unfreeze a ball of dough (20 seconds in the microwave), roll it out on parchment paper and voilà. I poked a few holes in the crust with a fork to let air go through and prevent the crust from bubbling up while baking, spread the kale pesto evenly, then laid thin tomato slices in concentric circles, starting from the edge of the dish. I sprinkled with a little salt and pepper, then baked at 350ºF (180ºC) for about 30 minutes.

9 comments:

Bernard said...

Bonne idée ,c'est appétissant et ça doit etre délicieux,vu les ingrédients.Tu as utilisé le principe de la tarte à la tomate avec de la moutarde? Gisèle

Guillaume said...

Ma mère fait une tarte à la tomate mais avec de la moutarde, pas du pesto.

Estelle said...

Oui, c'est le meme principe qu'avec de la moutarde. Dans la version moutarde je mets aussi du gruyere rape sous les tomates et un peu d'herbes de Provence par-dessus. Mais la recette se decline de mille et une facons.

Miki said...

It looks so delicious!!! Great idea for the pesto, and even better to use it in quiche recipe! Yummy :)

montreal latest said...

Pretty good pie for a vegan person like me. I love it! :D

German said...

I like kale, but always I had it like in stews or mix in a mash potatoes. I am looking forward for try you recipe. thanks,

Diane said...

What a creative, delicious interpretation. Kale is so hard to make look delicious but you've managed to make it look appealing.

traveler's pen said...

This looks so delicious! I have some frozen whole wheat pie crusts but they are a little deeper then your tart - Do you think a thicker layer of pesto would be too much? Otherwise I could maybe add another layer of a vegetable to take up space

Estelle said...

Hm. I'm thinking that more pesto would be overwhelming. Not sure what would work in a deeper crust. Do let me know what you came up with! :-)